In 1834 the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation to develop a route known as the Fincastle Turnpike, or Cumberland Gap Turnpike, from the Wilderness Road at Fincastle to Cumberland Gap. This was to be a toll road maintained by each county. The 248 miles of the road was completed around 1841. Militia forts dotted the road as it traversed the counties of Botetourt, Craig, Giles, Bland, Tazewell, Russell and then rejoined the Wilderness Road in Scott and Lee Counties. After the Pleasant Point Campaign of 1774, Lord Dunmore ordered local militia to erect seven forts in far Southwest Virginia along the Clinch River. Currently, the Crab Orchard Museum is located near one of these fort sites, and provides interpretive information of the early Native American history, and early pioneer settlements.